RARA-AVIS: Noir humor

From: Lehane, Con [NEA] ( clehane@nea.org)
Date: 22 Oct 2004

 I wonder about noir, and the humor in Willeford's wonderfully ironic view of the world. Scott Phillips does this also, especially in his latest book, Cottonwood, which has a kind of Willeford, flavor. But then, according to Scott, Eddie Muller said he wasn't really a noir writer ... And if he's not a noir writer, what does this say about Willeford being a noir writer? And if Willeford isn't a noir writer ...

In case any of you are around Wilmington, North Carolina next week, this news from the spiffed up Cape Fear Crime Festival:

There will be a Film Noir screening and discussion, presented by Professor Tim Palmer from the UNCW Department of Film Studies. Prof. Palmer's talk is entitled, "Out of the (American) Past: The Myth of Film Noir." I don't know the time or day.

Con Lehane
******************************************************************* Only the individual sender is responsible for the content of the message, and the message does not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the National Education Association or its affiliates.