RARA-AVIS: Little Girl Lost

From: Kirk Jones ( kirk.jones@gmail.com)
Date: 21 Oct 2004

I just finished this entry in the Hard Case Crimes line. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, finding myself not wanting to put it down.

Without spoiling the book for those who haven't read it, there is a good balance of action and detective work here. Aleas doesn't add action and violence just for the sake of having it there. When these elements are included, they work and mean something.

This is a book about innocence lost, roads taken and not taken, stones that might be better left unturned. John Blake is a man at a crossroads in his life, and for a while he doesn't even know it.

Blake is not as hard-boiled as some protagonists, but is more well rounded than so many that I have read. He acts with guts AND intelligence.

The revelation of the book wasn't a surprise to me. I guessed it at one point. Still, that did not take away from the book, as the payoff was great.

The denoument is pure noir. I found myself thinking, "No that won't happen. It...couldn't." Oh, the dark recesses of the human heart!

I am a fan after reading this, and I would love to see more of John. I wouldn't mind seeing his "assistant" in her own series as well.

I recommend this book heartily.

Kirk

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM