RARA-AVIS: Gardner's pulp characters

From: Douglas G. Greene ( dgreene@odu.edu)
Date: 20 Oct 2004

Brian

Yes, we plan to include in the Gardner series a volume of Ed Jenkins,
"The Phantom Crook," stories. Though, considering how slowly this one-person operation gets things done, it may still be 2 or 3 years in the future.

Here's a list of the volumes that Bill Pronzini is assembling for us:

        The Danger Zone and Other Stories (already in print)
        The Casebook of Sidney Zoom (for next spring, or possibly summer)
        The Exploits of the Patent Leather Kid
        The Investigations of Small, Weston & Burke
        The Adventures of Se񯲠Lobo
        The Feats of the Man in the Silver Mask
        The Return of Ed Jenkins, Phantom Crook
        The Return of Lester Leith

And we could continue for even more volumes, depending (of course) on how they sell. In our "Lost Classics" series, the pulp-related volumes are doing well. Our Craig Rice collection (MURDER, MYSTERY AND MALONE) has sold best among the Lost Classics -- perhaps in part because one of the stories was ghosted by Larry Block. Stuart Palmer's HILDEGARDE WITHERS: UNCOLLECTED RIDDLES is next in popularity, then William Campbell Gault's MARKSMAN. Gardner's THE DANGER ZONE, which was published only a couple months ago, has started very well.

And a handful of days ago, we published another collection from the pulps, T.S. Stribling's DR. POGGIOLI: CRIMINOLOGIST, though this volumes cannot be called "noir" or "hardboiled."

Doug Greene