RARA-AVIS: Re: Another translation example

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@btopenworld.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2004

Anders Engwall wrote:
> And it goes on like this, cutting corners. I
> suppose the novel was shortened to make way for
> the pornographic appendix that appeared in
> this book line at the time.

Er, can you elaborate on this "pornographic appendix"? Not written by Jim Thompson, I take it? When was this book line out?

I find it incredible how these books were treated so cheaply back in the day, the trashy covers and porno appendices and the like. I know, that's pulp. And without pulp we probably wouldn't have these novels. But the likes of JT are treated as kind of "heritage" authors now, quality classic covers etc.

Actually I'm not sure which is worse...

Charlie Williams.

===== www.charliewilliams.net