Re: RARA-AVIS: Spillane mentioned in movie Marty

From: mherridge@HTCOMP.NET
Date: 16 Oct 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Denton" < buff@pobox.com>

> I watched MARTY (1955) tonight, and towards the end there's a scene where
> Marty and three of his friends are hanging around his house wondering what
> to do. One of them is talking enthusiastically about Mickey Spillane: he
> retells the ending of I, THE JURY, then goes on about how many women make
> passes at Hammer in KISS ME, DEADLY. Another guy there says, "That
> Spillane. He sure could write" a few times. They're both big Spillane
> fans and they like Mike Hammer. This was just after Spillane's run of
> best-selling novels in the early '50s, and it was guys like them who made
> them so popular.
>
> Bill
> --
> William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/ : Caveat
lector.

As I remember, the Bogart movie SABRINA mentions Mickey Spillane. One of the rich people is a fan of his books.

Monte Herridge

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM