Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Cat Noir

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2004

Mark wrote:

But miker, are our thoughts abstract?

************** In my case, not a whole hell of a lot. What is abstract? In reading, I'd say the interpretation of metaphor and allegory leans towards abstract. I'd say most philosophical meandering is abstract, even the basic stuff like Plato's ideal apple being more real than a flesh and blood apple.

Jumping sideways, perhaps, my feeling is that a lot of noir embraced the naturalistic lean towards pessimistic determinism. (I'm not sure if that's philosophy or science. Over my head, but still fun.) However, I've developed an uncomfortable feeling about some contemporary noir I've read. I get the feeling that it somehow transcends the philosophic to say absolutely nothing. Just a gut-level fuzzy that's too elusive for me to ennoble with the rationale of criticism.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM