Re: RARA-AVIS: Christie

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 14 Oct 2004

Jason Starr wrote:

> Nice to see a lot of familiar "faces" here...
> Re Christie, I just wanted to mention I'm a huge fan of her books.
> I've read most of them (although it's been some time), find them
> hugely entertaining, and whether you like the hard or soft stuff you
> can learn a ton about plotting from her books...

I agree that it was great to see a lot of the Rara Avians at B'con
(including Jason, the wonderful Karin Montin, the not-nearly-so-fiery-in-person KBS, the legendary Jack Bludis, the "tall and handsome" [according to an un-named female friend of mine] Jim Doherty, the immortal Bill Crider, and the ever-popular Bill Denton). My hat's off to Bill Denton for setting that thing up at the Duke of Argyll, and I wish I could have made it there.

As for Christie, I started on her as well (unless you count The Hardy Boys) and liked a lot of her stuff ("Ten Little Indians," "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd," and "The ABC Murders" come to mind, in addition to "The Mousetrap," one of the more entertaining stage plays I've ever seen, although I guessed the solution halfway through). Obviously her British
"mystery of manners" approach has become somewhat dated, but what of it? The same can be said for Doyle's work with Holmes (which as one of our members mentioned earlier was really an attitude wrapped around a few lines of memorable dialogue). Christie's a wonderful resource for poisons, and her plots are really good when she's "on" (as with "The Mirror Crack'd"). When she's "off," as was the case with "Lord Edgeware Dies" or "Murder in Mesopotamia" (at least for me), it can be pretty laughable.

Good to be back. Now when are we going to have a Jason Starr month? While I'm at it, can I put in my request for a Ken Bruen month as well?

All the Best-

Brian Thornton

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM