RARA-AVIS: Re: naturalism and bouchercon

From: Lehane, Con [NEA] ( clehane@nea.org)
Date: 13 Oct 2004

Bill Crider wrote ... I keep going back to literary naturalism when I read these definitions of noir. Think of McTeague at the end of the novel by the same name. Now there's a guy who's fought against the fates (or his heredity and environment) and who's now totally screwed.

Or how about Clyde Griffiths in AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY? That book is the template for a lot of noir fiction, it seems to me....

I just want to say how great it was getting together with the group of rare and fine (as in cognac) birds at Bouchercon. Many thanks to Bill Denton for arranging a get together at a great pub. I even got up to attend the great noir debate panel at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning and was amply rewarded. I'm happy to say that the participants all finally agreed on definitions of noir and hard-boiled and the specific differences between them ... just kidding, but a great discussion.

The real reason I'm writing this, though, is that Bill Crider (see above) has finally made the connections for me and explained why I've been on this list for the past few years.

Hey, Pat. Welcome aboard!

Con Lehane
******************************************************************* Only the individual sender is responsible for the content of the message, and the message does not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the National Education Association or its affiliates.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM