RARA-AVIS: Re: Introduction

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@btopenworld.com)
Date: 12 Oct 2004

E.Borgers wrote:
>>As for Charlie Williams' question about UK
magazines, I personally was reading the quarterly Crime Time<<

I forgot about that one (and I subscribe to it too - duh). Yeah, it's thinned out a fair bit of late. I think one reason for that is that they no longer do short fiction or extracts. Still good features and interviews though, including (in the current issue) a great trashing of Dorothy L Sayers and cosies in general by Russell James.

Other than that, Jim D mentions Bullets. I don't know much about that one and I might check it out. (PS: yes, I am a writer seeking markets, though right now I'm more concerned about writing my third novel for Serpent's Tail than short stories. I haven't written a short in three years, but I mean to have a crack when this novel is done.) It's still got to be said that there is a very poor short crime fiction scene at the moment. I got some horror stories published a few years ago and there seemed to be no end of markets for them. (Mostly at the small end of small press.)

Actually, I think I read in an interview with James Lee Burke that he has trouble placing his short fiction too. That's ok then!

PS: Hi to new rara recruits, and Jim Winter in particular who I know from Sarah's blog.

Charlie Williams.