Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Introduction

From: Tapani Bagge ( tapani.bagge@aina.fi)
Date: 12 Oct 2004

> Dave:
> I had the best beer I ever had there -
> Kozel
> > Gold, which I had at a restuarant that I think was called the Ninth
> > Floor.

'Kozel' means beer in czech. You probably drank the dark Velkopopovicky Kozel that is one of the most popular foreign beers in Finland, and one of my favorites, too.

The restaurant in the middle of Helsinki, near the railway station, was the Tenth Floor, but now the name has been changed. I can't remember the current name.

> > How much interest is there in Finland for noir?

I think my own crime novels are the closest thing to noir on the market here right now. So far I have published three of them, with the fourth one coming out in 2005. There are some of us who order books and films from US and UK, and over the last dozen years I have managed to translate some novels by Fredric Brown, Lawrence Block, Richard Stark, Elmore Leonard and E. Richard Johnson, but like Juri said, right now the situation with the publishers doesn't look too good. However, this fall we are getting an interesting series of noir films on a digital public tv channell.

Tapani Bagge

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM