Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Introduction

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2004

Charlie,

Re your question below:

> Maybe I'm missing something. Anyone know of any UK
> print crime mags?

Are you asking as a writer seeking markets or as a consumer?

If the former, Miki Hayden, in the most recent issue of MWA's newsletter THE 3RD DEGREE, reports on a UK magazine called THE PEOPLE'S FRIEND, which publishes
"hundreds of short stories every year" as well as serialized novels. The submission guidelines are here:

http://www.jbwb.co.uk/pfguidelines.htm

If the latter, however, the magazine's readership is described as "traditionalists ranging in age from about 30 to well over 80." This demographic, coupled with the fact that PEOPLE'S FRIEND is a general interest magazine that publishes mysteries along with other kinds of fiction rather than a magazine devoted mysteries exclusively, indicates to me that you're probably not going to get a lot of cutting edge crime stories.

By the way, welcome back, Juri.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM