RARA-AVIS: Re: Introduction

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 11 Oct 2004

Hi Juri,

Welcome! I had the good fortune to visit Helsinki when I worked for Nokia a few years back. I had the best beer I ever had there - Kozel Gold, which I had at a restuarant that I think was called the Ninth Floor. I've also had the best Vodka I ever had, also at the same restaurant. Unfortunately, Kozel's not available here in the states.

How much interest is there in Finland for noir?

-Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Juri Nummelin
<juri.nummelin@p...> wrote:
> I posted just a minute ago some thought on Winter's "Run" and
thought I should introduce myself properly.

> I'm Juri Nummelin and I'm a free-lance journalist and a non-
fiction writer residing in Turku, Finland. I've written two books on American pulp and paperback fiction. The first one, called "Pulpografia" (2000), dealt with the crime writers, and the second one, "Six Guns" (2004), is about the Western writers. I'm just starting another book on English paperback writers and will likely post some comments on those whenever there is something hardboiled or noir going on. (I've also written some other books, but they don't belong here, so...)

> I'm also the editor-in-chief of two Finnish magazines, Ruudinsavu
(Gunsmoke) and Pulp. The former writes about the Western fiction, from movies to comics and video games, and the latter about, well, you guessed it, pulp fiction (with a broad definition here). I just had an interview with Marijane Meaker in Pulp and earlier with James Reasoner in Ruudinsavu.

> My likes are wide and range from old hardboiled pulp crime fiction
and the fifties paperback stuff to new guys like Pelecanos and Ellroy. I've been reading mostly Westerns in the last two years, so I haven't kept my eye on newcomers very sharply.