Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: John Spain correction

From: mherridge@HTCOMP.NET
Date: 05 Oct 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: < moorich2@aol.com>

> In my earlier post on the Cleve F.Adams' novels published as by John
Spain, I
> said there were two. Actually, there were three under that name: DIG ME
> GRAVE (1942), DEATH IS LIKE THAT (1943), and THE EVIL STAR (1944). I
forgot
> about Evil Star which I have a digest reprint of but so far it remains
unread.

> Richard Moore

Thanks for the information about Adams. William Rye's method of dealing with a blackmailer early in "Dig Me a Grave" was a bit brutal: he meets the blackmailer at the man's apartment, beats him up and kicks him while he is on the floor, then sets fire to the apartment in order to burn up all of the blackmailer's materials. Rye acts like this is nothing unusual, and shows no emotion. Adams must have been a fan of Race Williams.

Monte Herridge

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM