RARA-AVIS: Roger Torrey/T.S. Stribling

From: Douglas Greene ( dgreene@odu.edu)
Date: 03 Oct 2004

Richard

I too will have to skip the B'con this year. My back can't take the long plane ride to Toronto. I will miss seeing many friends.

Rogert Torrey was a fine writer. Tom Roberts has published a booklet with 2 of his stories from PRIVATE DETECTIVE, 1939-1942: THE FRANKIE AND JOHNNY MURDER (Bloomington, IL: Black Dog Books, 2004). One of the stories features P.I. Sam Drake. Was he a series character?

Richard, if you would like to gather and introduce a collection of Torrey stories, Crippen & landru would be delighted to publish it in its "Lost Classics" series (though it might have to wait a couple years, and we are committed into 2006!). As with most pulp material, the problem is who owns the rights. Does the family know?

We have just released T.S. Stribling's DR. POGGIOLI: CRIMINOLOGIST, ed. Arthur Vidro, containing 8 previous uncollected stories from ADVENTUYRE, BLUE BOOK, RED BOOK, and (recently discovered) from THE BIG MAGAZINE -- Joe Wrozs located the latter and almost ruined hia xopy of the pulp in making a xerox. I'll be interested to know what people think of the stories -- they are filled with ethnic stereotypes, especially in dialogue, yet Stribling was known for his sympathy with Blacks in the American South. "Bullets," especially, is a powerful story.

Going to press this week is BYLINE: MICKEY SPILLANE, edited by Max Allan Collins and Lynn F. Myers Jr., including 2 Mike Hammer stories which were expanded into novels, a "lost" Hammer story reconstructed from an almost illegible thermofax copy by Myers, and the transcripton of a Hammer LP script,3 comic book adventures of Hammer's predecessors, Mike Lancer and Mike Danger, and Spillane's "macho man" adventure articals from the 1950's. The limited edition will be signed by Spillane and the editors, and will contain a special CD with 3 Hammer radio shows, in one of which Spillane plays his sleuth. Because of the expense in producing the book, we'll have to raise the price to about $20 for the trade softcover and $48-$50 for the signed, number (250) copy clohbound.

Doug

Douglas G. Greene Professor of History Old Dominion University Norfolk, VA 23529-0091 Phone 757 683-3949