Re: RARA-AVIS: Falcon -- Movie vs. Book

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2004

Mark,

Re your message below:

> Either the above was a rerun or there were three radio versions.
> According to the cover of the Sight and Sound CD, its half-hour
version
> of The Maltese Falcon was originally broadcast 20 September 1943 as
part
> of the "Hollywood Playhouse" series, recorded in front of a studio
> audience. It starred Bogart, Astor, Greenstreet AND Peter Lorre in
> their original roles.

You're right. I stand corrected. There was a third half-hour radio version of FALCON broadcast on 20 Sept 1943. However, the name of the series it was run on was SCREEN GUILD THEATRE. You can find a log of the episodes here:

http://otrsite.com/logs/logs1010.htm#le

A couple of weeks earlier, they'd run an episode based on another Huston/Bogart/Astor/Greenstreet collaboration, ACROSS THE PACIFIC. Like the radio version of FALCON on the same series, it featured the original cast.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM