Re: RARA-AVIS: Falcon -- Movie vs. Book

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Oct 2004

Mark,

Re your comments below:

> There is, of course, another Bogart adaptation of
> The Maltese Falcon,
> the radio show. A few years ago, Sight and Sound
> (I think) put it on a
> freebie CD, along with Casablanca. Haven't listened
> to them in a while,
> but I think they were specifically reorded for
> radio, not just edited
> versions of the audio track of the movie. I should
> pull it out.

Actually, there were two Bogart radio versions of FALCON. The first, run on 3 July 1946 on ACADEMY AWARD THEATRE, was a half-hour version starring Bogart, Mary Astor, and Sidney Greenstreet in their original screen roles.

The second, also a half-hour version, was run on SCREEN GUILD THEATRE on 18 May 1950. It starred Bogart and Lauren Bacall as Spade and Brigid.

An earlier one-hour version, run on LUX RADIO THEATRE on 8 Feb 1943, starred Edward G. Robinson as Spade, Gail Patrick (who later produced the PERRY MASON TV series) as Brigid, and Laird Cregar as Gutman.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM