Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Deadwood

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 24 Sep 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Powell" < bleekerbooks@hotmail.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 6:37 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: RE: Deadwood

> >I caught the first episode of DEADWOOD (by the people who do "The
>>Sopranos") on Sky here in the UK on Tuesday. I'm sure you get it in
>>North America too, Sky being Sky.
>
> Listmember Jim Beaver also has a role - as the judge? I don't get HBO,
> and
> I can't remember.

I play Ellsworth, the prospector (or as I like to describe him, Gabby Hayes with Tourette's Syndrome). It's a prominent part but not overwhelmingly so in the first season. We're shooting the second season now, and the part (as well as the show itself) is headed for much bigger things. What creator David Milch is after here is the story of civilization in microcosm. He started with a place completely outside the bounds of law, where literally ANYTHING was allowed, and he is detailing the arrival and effect of law, government, civility, prosperity, and the attendant chicanery necessary to circumvent those things. I think by the time this show has run its course, it will be epic in nature. Yes, I'm biased, but I've been doing this stuff for thirty-two years, and a lot of it feels like junk compared to what I'm part of now.

I hear rumors that parts of the Deadwood set were used for the filming of the Yojimbo-Red Harvest variation known as Last Man Standing.

We shoot not near Palm Springs, but about fifteen miles north of Los Angeles, at the old Gene Autry Melody Ranch studios in Newhall.

Jim Beaver