Re: RARA-AVIS: Diamond Bikini

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 11 Sep 2004

The sequel was titled "Uncle Sagamore and his Girls" that I didn't reread recently. It does not IMO reach the same level of achievement as
"The Diamond Bikini". But still very enjoyable. We could argue that both novels are not HB, but in a certain way it's a kind of ironical and nonsense HB, showing violence (cartoon like), a certain kind of rebellion against official authority, characters living on the borderline of the law... But they are definitely not noir. These 2 volumes are a kind of UFO in the biblio of Williams, and in my book "The Diamond Bikini" is a classic.

Warning: The French film based on The Diamond Bikini (Fantasia chez les ploucs- 1971, by G鲡rd Pir賠) is a lemon, and even the presence of Lino Ventura does not save it. The maker of this film just took everithing for cartoon-like nonsense and filmed it that way (and was not even very good at it). Tongue in cheek, second level humor created by the boy's reports of what he sees and expressed in his own words, allusions... all desapeared in this pityful film.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

Jeff Vorzimmer a 飲it:

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM