Re: RARA-AVIS: More on CONTRABAND

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Sep 2004

James R,

Re Steve Mertz's comments below:

> I just finished lurking in on the Cleve F. Adams
> CONTRABAND discussion over at rara-avis. Gleaned
> from a letter to me from Adams' widow, and the
> Bellem files at UCLA, here's the deal. Adams was
> gravely ill, and so hired Bellem to string together
> a series of novelettes that appeared in DETECTIVE
> FICTION WEEKLY in the 1930's, featuring G-man Jim
> Flagg, into the stand-alone Reed Smith novel.
> Bellem simply padded out the Flagg stories, which is
> why the novel is episodic, and is why Adams
> dedicated the novel to Bellem and his wife. After
> Adams died, Bellem (with some help from WT Ballard)
> expanded two other pulp magazine novellas into books
> (NO WINGS ON A COP and SHADY LADY) as a favor to
> Mrs. Adams.

I'd already submitted the article on narc fiction that I was writing, but I've revised it, incorporating the corrections that Steve's information makes possible.

Please thank him for passing along the whole story.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM