Re: RARA-AVIS: The Maltese Falcon

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 10 Sep 2004

Ed Lynskey wrote:
> --- Bludis Jack < buildsnburns@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Here are some of the things tha strike me (Other
>>than the fact that Sam Spade looks like a blond
>>Satan--that gets me every time even though I know
>>it's coming.)
>
> I've wondered about that physical comparison. Is Sam Spade
> being ironic? Bogart doesn't fit that description.

I too always forget between readings that it's told in the third person.

These next lines are from Gore's "Smart Guys Don't Snore" (reprinted in SPEAK OF THE DEVIL).

  Her eyes, suddenly enormous, sought mine. In her little-girl voice she added, as a question, "Being safe?" Then with urgency, "if you'll be loyal to me, Thaddeus, then I know I'll be safe."

  "Hey, was Sam loyal to Brigid? You can count on me, kid."

Cheers,
--Stewart