RARA-AVIS: Graham Greene, genre and "hard-boiled techniques"

From: menglish47 ( menglish47@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Sep 2004

A revealing article from Prospect magazine reappraising the work of Graham Greene.

Quote on Greene's debt to HB:

"Greene did not completely give up genre, however, or the pleasures of its seamy side. (His escapes from England also gave him personal opportunity for mild sexual and narcotic indulgence.) Some critics lamented his continued use of hard-boiled techniques. John Lehmann, reviewing The Quiet American in 1956 wrote, "I also regret a rather obtrusive element of monotony in his style, the almost unvarying tight-lipped curtness of dialogue and comment; a mannerism which seems to me to be carried so far at times that it recalls the American school of tough thriller-writers, and would indeed be more in keeping with their quite differently aimed productions."

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/ArticleView.asp?link=yes&P_Article=12827

Back to lurking,

Michael