RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled war

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 06 Sep 2004

There's a lengthy discussion on Vietnam war and its effects on hardboiled literature in Woody Haut's "Neon Noir". He mentions "One Count to Cadence" and several other books.

I'd add Harry Whittington's "Mission Doomsday" (Banner 1967), very tough Vietnam paperback. The politics may have outdated.

There are one or two little known war novels from the fifties - I have Joe Klaas's "Maybe I'm Dead" (1955) which has a great title, but I haven't read it. If I ever get to it, I'll report. And I'd say that there is a noir feel to some sixties novels of WW II, such as Ray Rigby's "The Hill" (I don't have the exact year).

Juri