From: William Denton (
Date: 02 Sep 2004

On 2 September 2004, James Reasoner wrote:

: The hero of CONTRABAND is Reed Smith. I think this may be one of the
: Adams books that Robert Leslie Bellem worked on as an uncredited
: collaborator.

Pronzini's GUN IN CHEEK mentions two collaborations: THE VICE-CZAR MURDERS
(1941) by "Franklin Charles" and NO WINGS ON A COP (1950) under Adams's name. Were you thinking it was one of these, or did he do others no mentioned by Pronzini? Why did Bellem do these, I wonder? The money, I guess.

According to Pronzini, Bellem wrote 3,000 pulp stories and a handful of novels, and in the '50s when the pulps started dying he moved into TV. I didn't know that, but it's a sensible transition.

William Denton : Toronto, Canada : : Caveat lector.

RARA-AVIS home page: Yahoo! Groups Links