Re: RARA-AVIS: Claude LaLumiere's list of cross-genre noir

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Aug 2004

http://lostpages.net/blog/2004/08/crossgenre-noir-50-favourites.html

> LaLumiere says the list "is my personal 'top 50'
> noir books -- including
> collections and novels -- regardless of primary
> genre affiliation: horror,
> crime, SF, 'mainstream', etc." There's quite a bit
> of SF on the list, and
> at least one book I seriously disagree with (Donna
> Tartt's THE SECRET
> HISTORY). He's missing a number of writers I'm sure
> most of us would add
> just because he hasn't read them yet, but what's
> there is interesting and
> looks like great reading.
>
> Bill

That's an extremely interesting list, thanks.

Of what I've read:

I agree that a lot of Ballard edges into noir, as does a lot of dystopian SF of that era more generally. My only hesitation is that the noir protagonist is usually an individual, while a lot of SF of this era is more sociological, "case-studyish" in approach. Let's just say that someone who likes O'Connell would probably like CRASH and especially HIGH RISE, which is crying out for a David Cronenberg movie.

I don't think DYING INSIDE really fits, as it's more a
"this is the way we live now" downbeat novel of the Sixties (ala Ann Beattie, say)with some sf elements. Great book, though.

A SF novel that might fit is THE SHOCKWAVE RIDER by John Brunner.

THE SECRET HISTORY isn't noir, but could have been with a change or shift in pov. As it stands it's more a classic example of the "university" novel, with a thriller plot. Great book, though.

I'm not a huge fan of the BERLIN NOIR trilogy, but the first book, MARCH VIOLETS, is remarkable.

One obvious sub-genre that might be appreciated by noir fans would be the grimmer British spy novels ala Le Carre, Len Deighton, Joseph Hone (THE SIXTH DIRECTIVE), Noel Behn's THE KREMLIN LETTER,etc.

doug

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM