Re: RARA-AVIS: September is THE MALTESE FALCON month

From: Monte Herridge ( mherridge@HTCOMP.NET)
Date: 29 Aug 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Denton" < buff@pobox.com> To: "RARA-AVIS" < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 8:46 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: September is THE MALTESE FALCON month

> I put the semi-monthly reminder about the themes of the month into the
> list's automatic reminder thing, but I'm not sure when the first one will
> show up. So I'll remind the list:
>
> September 2004: 75 years of THE MALTESE FALCON
> Dashiell Hammett's THE MALTESE FALCON was published in BLACK MASK in
> five installments from September 1929 to January 1930.
>
> 75 years since one of the top hardboiled works of all time was published!
> Try to set aside some time to read it before September's over, and let the
> list know how you liked it and any comments you have about it, or Hammett,
> or the movie adaptation, or the book's influence, etc. It's been a couple
> of years since I last read it but I'm looking forward to reading it again
> and then watching the John Huston adaptation.
>

> Bill
> --
> William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/ : Caveat
lector.

I have the excellent North Point Press edition from 1984, which was published by arrangement with the Arion Press. This edition has photographs contemporary to the action in the story - in 1928. At the back of the book are notes giving details for each photograph and its reference in the text. Fairly large type, easy to read.

Monte