Re: RARA-AVIS: Hockey in Mysteries

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2004

At 12:30 PM 29/08/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I have started a list of mystery/suspense stories not necessarily
>hard-boiled or noir which contain references to [ice] hockey and can sure
>use the help of other readers.

Peter Sellers and I have just edited another collection of Canadian noir fiction stories which will come out in November, titled Revenge. It carries a story by William Bankier about a third rate puck pusher who is about to extend his career by playing in England, when the goalie on the team (the man who has set up a try-out) is murdered. It is called Dead Like Dogs, and is a reprint from Ellery Queen. The owner of this English team is closer in character to your early NYC owners than today's corporate Disney. Not that Disney is benign, but they do have good PR.

A recent television show (CBC I think) about Ted Lindsay's early efforts to organize a players' union implied owners in the original six were one step, maybe, away from being gangsters. Their chief asset was the arena, hockey just another set of booked nights, not necessarily their personal interest. Back in the 1920's my own city (Hamilton) had a hockey team (Tigers) bound for Stanley Cup playoffs. Players went on strike to be paid for playing the finals, and the team was quickly sold to become the New York Americans. I believe the Americans eventually merged into today's Rangers. I could be wrong about that, but I do know Hamilton has bent ears to an interesting series of carpet-baggers, ex-cops and ward heelers promising to bring another NHL (or WHA) team here ever since.

Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM