RARA-AVIS: Hockey in Mysteries

From: jim ( jim@feltoncpa.org)
Date: 29 Aug 2004

 I have started a list of mystery/suspense stories not necessarily hard-boiled or noir which contain references to [ice] hockey and can sure use the help of other readers.

 Hockey is about the only sport I care about any more but I somehow missed any mention of the game in the stories I was reading -- whereas sports in general are fairly common to find mentioned in a mystery/suspense/crime story. Horse racing, boxing, wrestling, and so forth are pretty ordinary. Why not hockey?

 Maybe it was getting to close to home. The first New York City NHL team, the Rovers, was owned by a bootlegger who ultimately went to prison. One NHL owner was more concerned with owning arenas where his interests in boxing would flourish back when boxing was a bit crooked. Then there was the owner who added a complete extra row of seats without increasing the announced seating capacity -- he eventually was jailed for the repercussions of skimming the extra admissions. These guys weren't The Mob but got pretty close.

 What I am looking for is author, title, publication date, magazine name if appearing in a periodical, and some idea how hockey was used in the story. If it was just in a sentence or two, quote in full with, or give me a synopsis if that's easier, with (range of) page number(s).

For instance, Larry Block has a story character describe a murder victim as a [New York] Rangers season ticket holder among other features, and the reference is just within a single sentence.

On the other hand I read an Erle Stanley Gardner story where his character gets his client off by discovering the accusers had been at hockey game with a couple girls, and thus could not have been at the scene to have witnessed the killing. This is spread over several pages and describing the use as I just did here was more to the point.

Any/all help appreciated.

 Jim Felton jim@feltoncpa.org