Re: RARA-AVIS: Suggestions?

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 25 Aug 2004

nayad@mun.ca :

>Hi all,
>I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some good heavy noir books,
>collections, or stories. I've read a bunch of Vachss and Ian Rankin
>and am looking for something a bit darker. .../...
>-Neddal

 From your own sequence of messages (following the first one -see above) it seems that you know more about real noir novels than what could be understood at first. As you are in search of "heavy noir", I support the suggestions others made for Derek Raymond (mainly his Factory cycle) and Ted Lewis' GBH, a novel that I advocated years ago on this list. The best of Jim Thompson's novels, of course (providing you really do not know them).

I will add the following: NIGHT DOGS (1996), by Kent Anderson. One of the best noir American novels of this period, by a first class author
"THE RED RIDING QUARTET" name given to the series of novels (Titles: 1974 - 1977 - 1980 - 1983) David Peace wrote about a British serial killer. Dark, desperate, moving ... far from the stereotypes of SK thrillers which invaded recently the mystery lit. and that are low value novels most of the time. This British author push you in a real nightmare, made of corruption, evil and madness. Not forgetting the quality of his writing and the complex construction of his novels (the first one published in 1999), all things amplifying their impact.

And an older noir novel, by Georges Simenon- his darkest and probably his masterpiece : THE STAIN ON THE SNOW

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM