RARA-AVIS: French/Italian names for pulp

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 25 Aug 2004

OK...I¹m back home and with five minutes to spare...so here¹s my most useful contributiion:

A book called ³Le Roman Criminel: Histoire, Auteurs, Personnages² was written by Stefano Benvenutti, Gianni Rizzoni and Michel Lebrun with a
Œpr馡ce¹ (foreword) by Jean-Patrick Manchette...It was published in Italy in 1979 and in France at L¹Atalante in 1982...It is one of the best ever written and researched history of the Œcrime novel¹, Œroman policier¹...whatever we call it, in whatever language we try to define it...(and the current debate about what is noir and what is hard-boiled belongs intimatly to these concerns...).

This superb book has a whole chapter called: ³Le crime ࠬ¹italienne² which obviously studies the whole development of the genre in Italy from people like Emiilio De Marchi, thru Olivieri di San Giacomo and Gastone Tanzi before the 2nd World War...of course I have never read anything by these people (and there are many of them quoted here in the book, all the way down to Umberto Eco...) but I¹ve read some of the important Œpersonages¹ like Scerbanenco and Sciascia (in french translations).. In the book the first mention of Œgialli¹ is at page 184 of my edition and it reads as such (my translation from french):

³But it is only in 1929, when the ³Gialli Mondadori² gets born, that a public is created for this type of literature and also a Œteam¹ of italian authors ­all of which were more or less faithfull to the rules of the anglo-saxon police novel or to the precepts of Georges Simenon²

...in subsequent pages the authors of this book talk about the important involvement of Arnoldo Mondatori (the creator of the gialli) in the resurgence of the Œitalian written¹gialli in the middle of the 50¹s, with the publication of a lot of newi talian authors...

The book is wonderful anyway and very instructive about the whole history of the genre and the /analitical-critical eye that a set of critics/writers themselves gave to the genre...check it out....(amazon or e-bay should be the only avenues I guess...)

Steve Novak...le Montois de D鴲oit