Re: RARA-AVIS: Suggestions?

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2004

Neddal,

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has jumped up to say "yes, do read the Scudder series," so let me be that guy. I'm guesing this is because the Scudder books are nothing like Jack O'Connell's.

It's a series that I began at the beginning and got lost in. There's something about these books that and the way they string together that is greater than the some of their parts. When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes and Eight Million Ways to Die are probably my favorites, but A Walk Among the Tombstones is also very strong. If this helps bolster my recommendation, I've read one Keller and didn't care for it.

I've gone on at length about Sallis before and strongly recommend him as well. I agree w/ the comment that though the writing is nothing like O'Connell's itwould appeal to the same types.

Mario, what is Block's "The Girl with the Long Green Heart" like? I'm not familiar with it.

Chris