Re: RARA-AVIS: Suggestions?

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 24 Aug 2004

Neddal,

Name of the Game is Death by Dan Marlowe is one of my favorites.

Jim Thompson has a number of great psycho-noir books: Hell of A woman, Swell-Looking Babe, Savage Night, Pop. 1280, Killer Inside Me, among some other great noir: The Getaway, After Dark, My Sweet, The Grifters

Of course James M. Cain (Double Indemnity, Postman Always Rings Twice), David Goodis (Shoot The Piano Player, many others)

Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin is terrific, as is Seymour Shubin's Anyone's My Name. Rex Stout's first book, How Like a God, is just brilliant - I highly recommend it.

More recent noir - you should definitely check out Jason Starr's Hard Feelings + Tough Love (Twisted City is next on my plate, and I'll will be reporting on that soon), Vicky Hendricks Voluntary Madness + Miami Purity, and an extremely talented new writer, Allan Guthrie's Two-Way Split.

And for a quick fix for noir stories, check out Hardluck Stories at: http://www.hardluckstories.com/zine.htm

-Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, aria376 <aria376@y...> wrote:
> Cornell Woolrich....
> ;
> nayad@m... wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some good heavy noir books,
> collections, or stories. I've read a bunch of Vachss and Ian
Rankin
> and am looking for something a bit darker. I've heard good things
> about Block's Matt Scudder series, but I checked out his
collection