RARA-AVIS: Re: Tough losers

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Aug 2004

Miker, for me toughness has nothing to do with a propensity to violence. For example, Mario Balzic is very hardboiled, but he doesn't like to hit or shoot people. His temperament is hardboiled. When he wants something, he goes and gets it (or gets it done).

The guy in Dark Ride is simply out of control. He's dangerous but he's not tough in the sense above. I cannot imagine him getting away from Amos Walker, for example, to mention a truly hardboiled private eye. Or from Parker, should the latter have a score to settle or should the guy get in his way.

Maybe what we ought to define is a couple of new categories: hardboiled-psycho and noir-psycho, and their counterparts, the pure kind, who are rational.

Best,

MrT

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM