Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir definition

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Aug 2004

Mark wrote:

I'm with Mario on tough not describing many of the noir protagonists. I doubt any of us doubts David Goodis's noir credentials, but few of his characters could be thought of as tough by thought or action. Many are just losers circling the bowl waiting for someone to flush.

*********** I agree that noir protagonists aren't always tough. Noir is not always hardboiled.

Close to the Lankford criteria and mirroring your comment, Mark, is Paul Duncan's (NOIR FICTION) distinction between a noir protagonist and a hardboiled one. Duncan says that a hardboiled protagonist is likely to be teetering on the edge of the abyss, while the noir protagonist is drowning in it. Duncan was a rara-avis member many moons ago. I recommend his NOIR FICTION.

miker