Re: RARA-AVIS: French/Italian names for pulp

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 23 Aug 2004

Just checked e-mail as I leave Toronto after a wonderful weekend there
(merci Bill for your tips): I never heard of une/la jaune for the French policier but it is true that they are called Giallo in italian....and if I¹m not mistaken it is because of the color of the cheap pulp paper...I¹ll check in more serious references when I¹ll be back at home...I do remember though that some editions of French papers in 40¹s, 50¹swere called Œla violette¹
(the purple one) or la verte (the green one) and it had to do with the treatment of the paper and the quality of each different chemical treatment and that in certain cases they simply printed on lesser grade paper which had therefore a certain color hue...I specifically remember a sports weekly of my youth (late 50¹s) with many pictures, that regurlarly came in purple or green hues called Miroir Sprint...

Voilம.

Steve le Montois de D鴲oit

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM