Re: RARA-AVIS: Introduction

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2004

Hello, Mr. Armstrong. Welcome to the list.

Regarding Burke, BLACK CHERRY BLUES definitely had supernatural aspects. It's been awhile since I read it, but I'm pretty sure A MORNING FOR FLAMINGOS also had some. In fact, I identify the technique with Burke, he uses it so often.

I'm currently rereading Crumley's THE MEXICAN TREE DUCK, which is as good as I remember it (and IMO rather underrated). Before that was his DANCING BEAR, which I liked but seemed to blur out, here and there. I generally prefer the C.W. Shugrue books to the Milo Milodragovitch books, I think: I suspect Crumley overidentifies with Milo, which tends to lead him toward some self-indulgence. Much of DANCING BEAR is really an essay about Montana more than an actual novel.

Not saying it's bad, though. Even secondary Crumley is better than 90% of everything else out there.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM