RARA-AVIS: PUT A LID ON IT, Donald Westlake and SINISTER HEIGHTS, Loren Estleman

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Aug 2004

B&N nearby was tossing their remainders of these for a dollar apiece, and thus I caught up with these two-or-so-yo releases...Westlake's non-series item (iinm) was rather like a less frantic Dortmunder, with some perhaps easy digs at the Feds, but not too distracting for their easiness. The Amos Walker novel had some more melodramatic flair, but perhaps as a result came off as more cartoonish, somehow...anyone else prefer LE's westerns?

For Westlake's overblown kiss-off to SF among other items of interest
(I can't get enough of Avram Davidson's casual writing, myself), I can recommend Pat and Dick (aka Richard) Lupoff's newish THE BEST OF XERO, an antho out of their early-'60s fanzine that was one of the inspirations for 'zine-publishing comics fandom, as well as a source of pioneering pop-culture assessment of other types (James Blish on writing for CAPTAIN VIDEO is another highlight; a very young Ed Gorman writes a bit about superhero comics and what they don't do for him; a similarly youthful Roger Ebert writes bad imitation e.e. cummings poetry, which is well-illustrated by the once Silvia White.)

These have been my hardcover delving of the last week or so.

Hey, Bill Denton: Losing this banner above the posting field might be a good idea (but, of course, it's your ball):

Your message must be approved by the group owner before being sent to the group.

TM

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM