Re: RARA-AVIS: Weekend Finds

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2004

> currently rereading Crumley: THE WRONG CASE is very
> strong and often achingly beautiful, but feels here
> and there as though Crumley was still groping his way
> along. THE LAST GOOD KISS is perfection: if there's a
> better hardboiled novel of the Seventies, I want to
> see it.

Doug,

Thank you! I had a short list of books I wanted to read next and Last Good Kiss Was on it! It just went to the top, ahead of Diamond Bikini.

I want to add that I'm just finishing up Perversity and I'm amazed that I got though it (14 pages to go), it is such a piece of . . . I've only read two awful hardboiled crime novels all year and they were both French--Perversity and I Spit on Your Graves. It's enough to turn me off anything hardboiled and French (and I still have Vertigo).

No offense to the French list members, but these two novels are terrible. It's been said that Vian never set foot in the U.S. and it shows on every page. It's America through a glass darkly.

Jeff