Re: RARA-AVIS: Weekend Finds

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2004

For some reason beach bookstores have a lot of good stuff. I don't know why.

> The Diamond Bikini - Charles Williams (Blue Murder)
> Halo in Brass - Howard Browne (Dennis McMillan)
> The Big Heat -William McGivern (Red Badge)
> Rogue Cop - William McGivern (Red Badge)

Williams varies from Decent to Amazingly Good; I'd certainly pick up anything with his name on it.

The Browne's been discussed a lot here recently. It's a good PI novel in the Chandler tradition, if a bit less effective than it once was.

McGivern's somewhat forgotten nowadays, but he wrote very tough books about cops and crime and the sometimes shaky dividing line between the two. The two you picked up are classics.

doug

currently rereading Crumley: THE WRONG CASE is very strong and often achingly beautiful, but feels here and there as though Crumley was still groping his way along. THE LAST GOOD KISS is perfection: if there's a better hardboiled novel of the Seventies, I want to see it.

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com