RARA-AVIS: Marshall Browne

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2004

I don't believe this one made it through last Sunday. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Yup! Yet another Australian author. I read THE WOODEN LEG OF INSPECTOR ANDERS over the weekend. Moody and dark. The book is about an Italian detective investigating the murder of a judge and an official who was on the case. I was afraid this was going to be a realistic but tedious endeavor like my only experience with LeCarre, but instead it was fast-moving and exciting.

My only complaint is a modest one. Like Hemingway complained about the book he admired, Twain's HUCKLEBERRY FINN, it seems like Browne cheated on the ending. Browne's book is distinguished by being the only one I've ever read with a crapper as a deus ex machina.
  miker