Re: RARA-AVIS: Help on Article About Narc Fiction

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2004

Mark,

Re your question below:

> I'm sorry I can't help you on short stories about
> narcs. However, I was
> curious if you were going to include Philip K.
> Dick's Through a Scanner
> Darkly in your article. Or are you sticking with
> more orthodox, non
> spec fic police procedurals?

Non-speculative fiction. This isn't a vlue judgment; it's just that I don't really regard futuristic cop stories as police procedurals in the most important sense; since a procedural is based (or is supposed to be based) on how police work is actually conducted, and since we can't KNOW how police work will be conducted in the future (though we may be able to make a reasonable prediction), a cop sotry set in the future can't truly be a procedural.

JIM DOHERTY