RARA-AVIS: Weekend Finds

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 11 Aug 2004

While vacationing here on the third coast in Galvestion I had a chance to slip out to the Galveston Bookshop while the rest of the family napped. Much to my surprise, it was a small shop, but with literally hundreds of books in its mystery section. They had everything from original Gold Medals and Pocketbooks to the latest crime fiction. If you're ever in Galveston you need to check it out. They had some authors I'd actually never heard of and some I've heard of, but never read, such as Richard Prather (dozens of books). They must have had every Lew Archer and Travis McGee novel. I limited myself a bit. What I picked up was:

The Diamond Bikini - Charles Williams (Blue Murder) Halo in Brass - Howard Browne (Dennis McMillan) The Big Heat -William McGivern (Red Badge) Rogue Cop - William McGivern (Red Badge)

Never saw the Red Badge before. There were a bunch of these as well as a lot of the Harper Suspense from the 80s.

Jeff