RARA-AVIS: RE: Howard Browne

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Aug 2004

Dick wrote:

"About as close to Chandler as you can get, which may be why Browne and Chandler, though approximate neighbors in La Jolla, Ca., didn't get together too often for cocktails."

Browne tells of first meeting Chandler in the memoir intro of Incredible Ink:

I met Raymond Chandler at the Overseas Press Club in New York -- my editor at Simon & Schuster, Leigh Wright, had taken me there and she introduced me. He was a little tipsy (I guess he was born with a glass in his hand), and I said "Mr. Chandler, it's a pleasure to meet you -- I've been makig a living off you for years."

"So few have the grace to admit it," was his reply.

ark