Re: RARA-AVIS: Halo In Brass ( Spoiler) and Cutter and Bone (no Spoiler)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Aug 2004

--- Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry you didn't like CUTTER AND BONE. I'll admit
> that maybe the plot wasn't the best, but I thought
> the
> writing was some of the sharpest I'd come across for
> while.
>
> miker

I think the Seventies are the great lost decade in hardboiled. It was a time when a lot of people were evidently trying to do "serious" hb or "literary" hb, or something like it. The best efforts of the decade are extraordinarily good:

FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE LAST GOOD KISS COCAINE AND BLUE EYES (arguably the great forgotten novel of the decade) NIGHT OF THE TOADS DOG SOLDIERS THE UNDERGROUND MAN

etc.

But a lot of the experimentation didn't work. I think the first half of CUTTER is the best.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com