Re: RARA-AVIS: Halo In Brass (possible Spoilers)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Aug 2004

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>
> "If so, I remember liking it, but thinking that it
> was one of those
> relatively rare books who's impact has been lost as
> time has marched
> forward."
>
> Rare? I'd say it might be just the opposite. Isn't
> that why so many
> books are lost by the wayside?

I meant something more specific, that HALO IN BRASS was a book that was "locked in time", so to speak. The plot depends for it's impact on societal ideas and attitudes about lesbianism that don't apply anymore. We're supposed to be shocked, but what's shocking about it, nowadays?

Books can be good or bad, but relatively few books lose this kind of impact because society marches on, I think. Less than most people think, anyway.

It happens more often on TV. I just saw a COLUMBO episode which was based on the notion of answering machines, still a relatively new idea when it was shot. It was good story (written by B movie auteur Larry Cohen) but the big revelation doesn't have the impact it once did.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com