RE: RARA-AVIS: Halo In Brass by Howard Browne: Robison

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 03 Aug 2004

Howard Browne was "John Evans," if nothing nor no one else has reminded you...Browne comes up here from time to time...from ghosting a Spillane story when HB was editor of FANTASTIC to writing a story a ROCKFORD FILES was based on...and I keep meaning to find his book-length memoir...

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 12:10 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: Halo In Brass

Finished this one a couple days ago. It's my first book by Evans. It's about a private detective based in Chicago searching for a missing girl from Kansas. Paul Pine is knocked out a couple times, is first on the scene at more than one murder, is framed for murder, sucks face with the chicks and spars with the cops . In spite of cliches that were well-worn even in 1949 when the book came out, Evans's writing is sharp and moving and well worth reading.