RARA-AVIS: Re: Cotton Comes To Harlem

From: Jim Stephenson ( jestephenson@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2004

Jim D. remarked:

> Actually, I'm pretty sure COTTON COMES TO HARLEM was
> the original title of the book.

It's not. The original English title was *Back To Africa*, and it was first published in France with the translated title *Retour en Afrique*. It was called *Cotton Comes To Harlem* in it's first American publication, however.

About 10 years ago I was cataloging a large collection of Himes' novels for the Special Collections Dept. at the University of Maryland. As part of my efforts I created Name-Title Authority records for almost all of Himes' works; these are now part of the Library of Congress Authority database. Catalogers create these records so that works published in various manifestations (translations, changes it title, etc.) can be accessed through a uniform title. I was forced to learn a *lot* about Himes' publishing history for that project!

Jim Stephenson