Re - RARA-AVIS: Himes

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Jul 2004

Rene,

Re your comment below:

"Maybe I was thinking of Cotton Comes to Harlem, which I vaguely recall having another title - but with this memory of mine I could be wrong there too ..."

Actually, I'm pretty sure COTTON COMES TO HARLEM was the original title of the book.

The movie sequel, which, like COTTON, starred Godfrey Cambridge and Raymond St. Jacques as Grave Digger and Coffin Ed, was called COME BACK, CHARLESTON BLUE and was based on Himes's THE HEAT'S ON. There may have paperback edition of the novel, released, at the same time as the movie, under the movie title. Could that be what you're thinking of?

JIM DOHERTY