Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads: Starr, Child, Slaughter

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2004

My most recent read--that is, after dinner and finished in one go--is Ken Bruen's BLITZ, OR BRANT HITS THE BLUES (2002) which seems to have just now come out in North America. I heard about Bruen from talk on the list, and damn, this thing is fast and hard. I'm going to get more. My only complaint is the ridiculous price: $18 ($12 US) for a trade paperback that's mostly blank because the book is mostly conversation, and short sentences of that. Bloated trade editions are nothing new, though, and what can we do.

Is Bruen's style the same in all his books? He's unique. He even does something new with showing lists. And I've never seen a book with so many epigrams, or any book with epigrams from George Pelecanos and Dolly Parton.

I'm delighted to hear the new Jason Starr is out. He's one of my favourites--I've loved all his previous books.

Bill