Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Neo-noir films

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 16 Jul 2004

At 03:43 PM 16/07/2004 -0400, Mark Sullivan wrote:

> Why are so few of the books we discuss here made
>into films?

I think it is because writers are now writer-directors. Norman Jewison declared some time ago that film is the literature of the twentieth century, and he has been particularly influential among young Canadians
(and even some older ones) with literary ambitions. If they've an interest in seeing their work on the screen, Canuck writers go to the school Jewison started in Toronto. They write their own original material, or work in collaboration with film makers met there.

I suspect this is true in the "independent" film scene outside Canada as well, and the independents are eventually institutionalized by Hollywood. I mean, the rows of little cubby-holes each containing a human-like form bent boozily over a novel and an Underwood was a feature of the long gone studio system, no?

And I think it's generational. I'm willing to bet that the majority of Rara Avians, with our attachment to the printed text, are north of 40 years old. The exciting new film makers will be south of that ugly divide. I'm making generalizations, of course, but so did your original observation.

Sorry if I've depressed anyone at the start of an otherwise sunny summer weekend.

Soon to be greeting at a Wal-Mart near you, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com