RARA-AVIS: "The Grifters" is noir.

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2004

Hate to disagree again with the "film noir" purists, but in content "The Grifters" is as noir as a film gets. Let's just call it "noir" without calling it "film noir."

"The Big Clock" with Ray Miland, although "film noir" is not noir in content because of the happy ending. Neither is "The Maltese Falcon" or most of Chandler. "Murder, My Sweet," is "Film Noir" without being noir in content--unless you consider it Moose Malloy's story.

"Film Noir," I believe refers to the way a film is made as well as it's dark content. Noir refers to the darkness of the subjecet matter.

Jack Bludis

===== Now: "The Big Switch," and "The Deal Killer" This summer "Shadow of the Dahlia." http://www.jackbludis.com --updated 5-27-04 Shamus nominee "Munchies" Best Short Story